Rooms in halls of residence for exchange students

The International Office is able to offer exchange students (e.g. ERASMUS, partnerships) who will be staying at Ruhr-Universität for one or two semesters, to rent rooms in different halls of residence of the Student Support Group AKAFÖ.

All of the halls of residence are located close to campus. There are three different types of rooms: single rooms (kitchen and bathroom are located in the corridor), single rooms in a shared flat and apartments (own bathroom and kitchenet). The rooms/ apartments are furnished and the costs for gas, electricity, heating and internet are included in the rent.

Please note: Unfortunately, we have more applicants than rooms currently. Therefore, we cannot guarantee every exchange student a room. You should be flexible and send us your Accommodation Request as early as possible.

How to make a reservation

Nominated exchange students receive the "Accommodation Request" by email. Please send the filled form back to us.

After the deadline for application, we will inform you at the end of January (summer semester) or the end of July (winter semester) if we may reserve a room for you. In case we can, we will send you a confirmation of reservation. Afterwards, you need to transfer the deposit within four weeks. The reservation will only be binding after having received your payment.

Please note: Rooms are only rented for complete months and not for single days. Sole exception: If you arrive in mid-March or mid-September, you will only be charged for half of the month's rent.
Rooms have to be booked for at least two months. If you want to move out of your hall of residence before your contract ends you have to inform us two months in advance.

The private housing market

If you wish, you can search the private housing market in Bochum for an apartment or a room. Accommodation offers can be found in newspapers, on notice boards at the university or on various internet sites.

You’ll find more information about the private housing market on this website:

The private housing market

RUBiss Logo


Here you will find all sorts of important information on rooms in the halls of residence for exchange students.


Newsletter Accommodation part 1: "Before the semester begins"   (320.5 kB)

Newsletter Accommodation part 2: "During the semester"   (640.0 kB)

Newsletter Accommodation part 3: "Moving out"   (196.4 kB)


RUBiss Cleaning Plan   (111.6 kB)

Tenancy agreement   (99.1 kB)

Kündigung (Termination)   (23.8 kB)

Vollmacht (Authority)   (19.4 kB)

Dictronary of the Studentenwerk Bielefeld as download


Gundra Stückrath