Most Important Facts

All full-time students enrolled in one of RUB's degree programmes (Bachelor, Master, Diplom, Magister and Staatsexamen) from the third semester on are eligible to participate in the ERASMUS programme. Each RUB student may receive ERASMUS funding up to 12 months per study cycle (Bachelor, Master and PhD). Students may study and/or intern abroad within these 12 months as many times as they wish (as long as the minimum study period of three months/90 days and the minimum internship period of two months/60 days are met). Students enrolled in state examination degree programmes may receive ERASMUS funding for up to 24 months.

Students may stay at the host institution between a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 12 months (depending on the agreement).

Partner Universities
Students can choose from a variety of places at European universities, depending on the faculty’s / department’s agreements (see LINKS on the right). The students’ contact is the ERASMUS departmental coordinator in their own faculty (also see LINKS on the right). The departmental coordinator is responsible for the application and selection of outgoing RUB students.

Admission/Tuition at the Host Institution
Admission is simplified at the host institution due to the previous signed agreement. This means that there is only a small amount of bureaucracy to be taken care of. Students do not have to pay any tuition fees at the host institution.

Assistance in Organisational Matters
The ERASMUS departmental coordinator and international office at the home university and host institution assist students in organisational matters such as finding accommodation, language learning and academic preparation.

Receiving Credit Points
The home and host institutions agree on awarding students points for the subjects taken abroad. ERASMUS departmental coordinators and the faculties’ examination boards execute the credit transfer.

Language Courses/Introductory Events
Host universities often offer introductory events and language courses for ERASMUS and other exchange students. By now many host universities have introduced languages requirements for the national language or English (often B1). The University Language Centre (ZFA) offers language courses in almost all European languages.

Mobility Grant
ERASMUS students receive a grant for the time spent studying abroad. This grant is supposed to cover any additional costs students may be confronted with in a foreign country. The amount students receive is re-assessed every year. For the academic year 2019/20 the funding rates are set nationally by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), as the National Agency for EU Higher Education Cooperation in the Erasmus+ Programme. ERASMUS participating countries are divided into three groups.

450 EUR/month for country group 1:
Denmark, Finland, Republic of Ireland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden, United Kingdom

390 EUR/month for country group 2:
Belgium, France, Greece, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Austria, Portugal, Spain, Cyprus

330 EUR/month for country group 3:
Bulgaria, Estonia, Croatia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Republic of North Macedonia, Czech Republic, Turkey, Hungary

Additional Funds
Disabled students, students with children, etc. may apply for additional funds.

Please keep in mind that you will need extra insurance whilst you’re abroad. Please consult your local insurance company in Germany first to get to know more about the various types of insurance you could take out during your time abroad.