International Students 3

Study Abroad Credit Transfer

Part of the ERASMUS Programme is the transfer of those credits that have been earned abroad. The two most important documents in the credit transfer process are the Learning Agreement and the Transcript of Records. Keep in mind that the faculties are responsible for the transfer, not the International Office.

The credit transfer is based on the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS), the examination regulations of the various subjects and the Lisbon Convention.

Before the Stay Abroad

As the credit transfer does not happen automatically, you have to organise it before the start of your stay. See the internet pages of your host institution to gain further information on the courses. As soon as you have selected the courses, ask the departmental coordinator about the transfer procedure in the faculty.

Fill in the classes you are planning to attend at your host institution in Table A of the Learning Agreement ("Study programme at the Receiving Institution"). You have to select, attend and pass courses that mount up to at least 15 to 30 ECTS per semester. In Table B the classes or modules are to be stated that you would equivalently be attending at Ruhr-University Bochum ("Component title at the Sending Institution"). Please note that arranging a Learning Agreement is mandatory for every ERASMUS+ student.

To guarantee that the Learning Agreement is binding, this document has to be signed by the student, the ERASMUS departmental coordinator of the home institution and the departmental coordinator of the host university. The home university confirms that the selected courses may be accredited, the host institution declares that the study plan can be implemented.

During the Stay Abroad

In the first few weeks of your stay abroad, changes may be made to the original study plan. Update your Learning Agreement accordingly on the form entitled "During the Mobility". Have the document signed by both departmental coordinators and sign it yourself. Please also check with your departmental coordinator at your home university whether these credits can be transferred as well.

After the Stay Abroad

After the stay abroad the host institution issues a "Transcript of Records". This lists all the courses you attended and grades you achieved. You can have your credits transferred with this document. Send a scan of your Transcript of Records to

The Learning Agreement is a contract and with this contract you agree to acquire at least 15 to 30 ECTS per semester abroad. Thus, we assume that the Transcript of Records, which will be issued by the host university at the end of your stay, also lists at least 15 to 30 ECTS per semester that have to be passed. If it contains less than 15 ECTS per semester, you need to submit a written statement that has to be approved by your ERASMUS departmental coordinator. Afterwards, you have to pay back the mobility grant. Exemptions are only made in cases of hardship.