Kansas State University - Hale Library

USA: Visa for Interns

Those students who wish to conduct an internship in the USA should keep in mind that they need a specific visa for such a stay in the US. Students of German universities (apart from medical students) usually apply for the J1 "Exchange Visitors" visa. Part of the application process is an interview either at the US embassy in Berlin or at one of the two consulates in Munich or Frankfurt. However, applicants cannot make an interview appointment until they found an intership, until they gathered all the essential documents and paid all fees.

Students need the following documents for the J1 Internship Visa:

  • Valid Passport
  • DS 160 form
  • Proof of payment of the visa application fee
  • American sized passport photo (not older than six months)
  • Appointment confirmation
  • DS 2019 form
  • DS 7002 form
  • Evidence of payment of the SEVIS fee

Interns should especially keep in mind that the internship provider usually cannot hand out the forms DS 2019 and DS 7002. Therefore you need to find a sponsor organization. The costs for issuing the forms depend on the sponsor organization, the duration of the internship and can vary. Please consider that those fees for the sponsor organization add to the visa application and SEVIS fee.